Thursday, July 10, 2008

This is a monarch butterfly I spotted in New Plymouth in march - when the sun was hot! I put it here to remind us there is life after the ice and mud. The last few weeks are pretty full on as I tie up loose ends before going on thesis leave. Yes the pressure to finish the 8 year Doctorate is building. So what have I been up to lately...

Power of Design project
Sunshine did a great poster for the final project workshop which we held just before the HERDSA conference in Rotorua. It was a relief to get the project poster done and cutting back the text was like cutting off an arm...so much to report. Now I am writing up a case study for the Power of Design project. This was a research evaluation of Designing for Flexible Learning Practice (DFLP) against eLearning Guidelines. The full analysis of data is still to be completed and will be written up near the end of the year - when I come back.

More on the project website.

Designing for Flexible Learning Practice
course
The semester one session has finished so there is plenty of marking to do. Five people have submitted their assignments; five are very close and six are going to extend into semester two. We lost a couple or three on the way. It has been really enjoyable teaching using the new format - course wiki and blog. The presentations day was really interesting and I was given a great compliment about the high standard of participant work in the course being due to our very good facilitation of the course.

Evaluation of eLearning for Best Practice
I teach this course for MIT, TANZ. It is all online and I am using the same format as DFLP. This course includes a real workplace evaluation and I have participants from the private sector as well as tertiary organisations. I am about to mark assignments for this group as well and again have some people extending into semester two working self-paced with local support from the programme manager, oriel Kelly.

Digital Information Literacy project
This is progressing well and the 10 week series of workshops is coming to a close for Otago Polytechnic participants. Workshops in Albany, Massey University, MIT and University of Otago have a few more weeks to go. I will be ticking over the management of the project while I am on leave. You can read more on the project website.

Wikieducator projects
  • The HIVAIDS project has stalled but I have been in talks with the Commonwealth of Learning about collaboration options.
  • Anatomy and Physiology for vet nursing - we are awaiting the project plan from the COL learning designer and this should progress with funding in Semester Two. We are meeting on 21 August to progress the project.
  • There is going to be an open educational resources (OER) Thinktank (Heywire8) on 22 August at Otago Polytechnic. Wayne Macintosh from COL is going to visit us here and lead this. There will be several people from around the country converging on us. It is pretty important so I will be making a special trip to take part.
Spotlight Teaching and Learning Colloquium
Terry and I have been helping organise this with University of Otago HEDC staff. It is coming together nicely and you may want to get your abstracts in. All information is on the website and invites are going out to staff and teaching award recipients and tertiary providers in the Southern region.

It is on 19 and 20 November, 2008, hosted by the University of Otago and Otago Polytechnic. The event is entitled “Spotlight on Tertiary Teaching and Learning: Colloquium for the Southern Region”. This event is sponsored by AKO Aotearoa - National Centre for Tertiary Teaching Excellence.

The event will highlight best teaching practice and research into teaching in Otago.

And as if there wasn't enough to do.... I sometimes sleep.

5 comments:

Sarah Stewart said...

This all looks very exciting, Bronwyn. I am thinking about what abstract to submit for the HEDC conference - what do you think I could talk about?

Also, first I have heaqrd about Wayne McIntosh coming to OP-will look forward to that.

take care, Sarah

Marica Sevelj said...

Hi Bron
It is great to read about what you are up to. I hope the thesis writing is progressing. I know how important getting this finished is to you. I remember being at the presentation you did while we were in Perth. Keep going - you are almost there :-)
Thinking of you and sending a big hug,
Marica

Bronwyn hegarty said...

Sarah
I reckon you could speak about the midwifery community you have helped create through your professional blog and the benefits of open learning communities for professional development.

Yes the Think Tank will be an excellent opportunity for us to be part of something really big. :)
I am so glad you can be part of it.

Bronwyn hegarty said...

Marica
it seems so long since we were in perth. At the moment I am analysing reflections the students wrote using the 3-step framework. This is a much simpler version of the model I used in the pilot. I think you would prefer this one.

I hope your new job is going well and that we meet up again sometime soon.

vcautin said...

Uff, I applaud you for all the advances your group is doing towards open education!!!